Before moving to California, I had the BEST gastroenterologist ( Hi Dr. Veera!) who supported me through everything, whether it was a hospitalization, a trip to India, or my move to Spain, he was my cheerleader the whole way. With a rollercoaster journey through Ulcerative Colitis, Dr. Veera answered all of the many questions my mom and I had and he settled our worries and fears.
However, part of our success was due in part to our preparation ahead of time. Whether it is with your gastroenterologist or your primary care physician, appointments go quickly- sometimes as short as 5-10 minutes. So it is extremely important that you get all the information you need out of that short window of time. One way to ensure you get as much out of your appointment is to know questions you want to ask ahead of time. You may already have specific questions you want answered, but in case you need a head start on brainstorming here is a list of questions to keep in mind at your next appointment.
- I found this information on Google. What does it mean?
- If I want to research more, where should I look?
- What are my treatment options?
- How long do I have to decide if this is the treatment I want?
- I have been taking ____________ and it has been making me feel _________ .
- Why are you prescribing this medication?
- What are the side effects of this medication?
- How can I get in touch with you if it gets worse?
- How many patients like me have you seen?
- What can I do to prevent this next time?
- How can I make sure my insurance will cover what you’re ordering/prescribing?